C ↔ 215m ↑ 150m ⏱ 1h vf / 2h total gpx
View details in Romanian.
The “Casa Zmeului” via ferrata route was opened in July 2017 near Vadu Crisului, Crisul Repede defile/gorge, in Padurea Craiului Mountains, a subunit of the Apuseni Mountains. The route was built by Salvamont Salvaspeo Bihor, the Romanian mountain rescue unit from Bihor county, with help from CASSIO Montana Bihor club.
- GPS track – Wikiloc
- Free access
- Length 215m
- Vertical climb 150m
- Difficulty C
- GPS access / Parking: 46°58’33.2″N 22°30’27.5″E or 46.974972,22.507750
- GPS Start Via Ferrata: 46°58’16.4″N 22°30’48.8″E or 46.971230,22.513550
- Access hiking duration: 30 min
- Via ferrata duration: 1h
- Return hiking duration: 30 min
- Total time: 2 hours
- Minimum 16 years old; below 16 years old only accompanied by an experienced adult
- Best time: May – October, except for when it’s rainy and the rocks become slippery
All via ferrata routes in Crisul Repede Defile
- Via Ferrata “Montana Land” – Suncuius, Bihor (English) (B) -
B | ↔ 170m | ↑ 80m | ⏱ 30min vf (1h total) | Paid
- Via Ferrata “Casa Zmeului” – Vadu Crisului, Bihor (English) (C) -
C | ↔ 215m | ↑ 150m | ⏱ 1h vf (2h total) | Free
- Via Ferrata “Mocanita” – Peretele Zanelor, Vadu Crisului, Bihor (English) (B) -
B | ↔ 150m | ↑ 110m | ⏱ 1h+ vf (2h+ total) | Free
Map for this route
On the map above, „P” is parking, the red flags mark the start and end of via ferrata, orange route is for access and green route for the return trail.
Access: You start near the sports field in Vadu Crisului village (GPS: 46°58’33.2″N 22°30’27.5″E or 46.975900,22.507648). The shortest route is by following a narrow track alongside the railroad, which crosses the defile. You’ll reach a sign saying „Pestera Casa Zmeului”, which means „Dragon’s House Cave”, more or less. Make a left here towards the base of the stone wall and you’ll see the via ferrata cable after just a few meters.
(If you continue alongside the railroad, you can reach the other via ferrata route in Vadu Crisului, (B) „Mocanita”.)
Length of via ferrata route: 215m. Vertical climb: 140-150m.
Difficulty: C (medium). Grades are from A (very easy) to E (extreme).
This route has more vertical sections than the other via ferrata routes in Bihor („Mocanita” in Vadu Crisului and Pietrele Negre, Vartop) and it offers good views over „Vama Sarii”, another landmark you go past on your way up. The upper section contains a 25m long bridge.
Duration for the via ferrata route: 1h – 2h30 min.
Mandatory gear: alpine helmet, alpine harness, via ferrata set. Optionally, gloves.
Return trail: You have two options to come back to Vadu Crisului village:
- Follow the hiking route marked with a blue circle, to the left. It will end close to the sports field where you parked.
- Follow the hiking route marked with a blue circle, to the right, to Vadu Crisului Cave and visit this interesting cave. You can then return to your car.
*More full size resolution photos from via ferrata routes in Romania are available for commercial or editorial use on Shutterstock – Via Ferrata Romania set, or Adobe Stock – Via Ferrata Romania collection.
- We climbed this route
- Email talks with SJ Salvamont Salvaspeo Bihor (the local Mountain Rescue unit)